Protecting RSUs against rapid fluctuations

Let me start by saying I'm not new to investing but I have never used options or derivatives or hedged an investment before.

Some fraction of my compensation comes in the form of my public company's restricted stock units (RSUs) that vest over a 4 year period. I don't have a way to diversify the unvested part though I can sell and diversify the part that vests.

Obviously if the stock of the company drops by a lot that would dramatically impact my income. Is there a way I can “insure” myself against this risk? Would this be a place to buy puts against my employer? Any other ways of doing it? Is this worth it? Do people do it?



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *